Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Glass bottom boat ride


When I was a kid, we would travel from the cold of Connecticut winter to the warm tropic of Acapulco and Aruba.  Travel 'back then' was hugely special, we would dress up in our best (and most uncomfortable) clothes for the flight.  Upon landing, back in the day, the entire plane of people would clap for the pilots at their successful landing and our safe arrival.  

One of my favorite memories of my dad was going out on a glass bottom boat ride.  He and I were early risers (some things never change), so while Mom and Jeff slept, we went out on the 6 o'clock boat.  The coral reef was beautiful and colorful and filled with life and easily viewed in the clear shallow water through the glass bottom of the boat.  We went out, and out, until the shore was very small and far away.  At some point the boat stopped, divers swam to the bottom and pulled up starfish and coral and other ocean specialties to show us.  It was amazing.  Soon, the boat started up and began the ride back.  As we were riding back, still a huge distance away, my dad looked at me and said "want to SWIM back?".  I laughed and said "NO WAY".  He said he was serious and thought we could do it. I was immensely nervous about being able to swim that far.  Well, he talked to the driver, we jumped off the back of the boat and it drove away.  YIKES!  So, we swam and swam and swam.  I started to get tired.  "Dad, I don't think I'm going to make it".  We kept swimming.  At some point, Dad realized I was fatigued and couldn't swim any further and our resort was still far in the distance.  Dad said "If you are really tired and can't swim anymore....................
 just STAND UP".  
So, I put my feet down and stood right up.  We were swimming in only 3 feet of water the entire way.  He had noticed on the way out that the water was super shallow, and mostly sandy.  So, I stood up and walked / swam back.  The event itself was a wonderful time with my dad.  I told this story at his funeral.  There were many times growing up when I didn't feel my dad had my best interest in mind.  This story made me realize that even when I thought he was doing something for himself and dragging me along, he was paying attention to the details and had care for me when I didn't know.  He was aware and called me forward.  It is here in Fiji that I feel his adventurous influence to explore and dare and live fully.

Love you Dad.  It was great to take the kids out and remember you.  

No comments: